How to Organize Your Closet Properly
A closet is an integral part of every home, and with the change of seasons the wardrobe is becoming a major problem for every woman. If you are facing the exact dilemma every new season, then it is high time you rolled your sleeves up and put your closet in order.
Have you ever happened to stand in front of the open closet for hours and wonder what to wear? And when you finally think of a particular piece of clothing, you can’t usually find it, because of the chaos there. Putting your closet in order is must that many people delay because the idea of folding and arranging their clothes for a few hours sounds annoying and disgusting. And still, the sight of the properly stacked piles of clothes after you are done will bring you unparalleled satisfaction.
Put an end to the shapeless and wrinkled pieces of clothing, and throw away everything that you don’t actually need and wear. Spend a few hours in organizing your entire closet in order to provide yourself with some comfort and put an end to chaos. You will be surprised how many forgotten clothes you will find at the bottom of some drawers and how well you will feel when you can finally put the place in order and find everything you need.
What do you need to start?
- Empty nylon or plastic bags of different size
- Some suitcases and bags that you don’t use often
- Empty space where you will have to put the clothes for a while
What is the plan of action?
- Take all the clothes out of your closet. You can pile them on the floor or on the bed, but make sure you don’t scatter them around the whole room.
- Take a few minutes in order to decide what you are doing to put on each of the shelves and in the drawers.
- Separate the clothes according to the season they are supposed for. It will be harder for you when you start dealing with your winter clothes, because they are bulkier. Put them in a vacuum plastic bag in order to save some space, or you can even use an old suitcase that you no longer take when going on a vacation. Throw away everything that you don’t actually need and the clothes that you no longer wear.
- Then start organizing your summer clothing. Separate them from one another and put them on the shelves and the drawers you have initially emptied for them. Once again, decide what the things are that you no longer use and throw them away.
- Divide the clothes in some piles. This will make it easier to decide what you are going to wear and what – not. In the first pile put the clothes that you will wear for sure. Then, in the second one, put the clothes that need to be washed or repaired in any way. In the third pile put all the clothes you are not sure you will wear.
- Finally, fold the clothes and put everything on the shelves or in the drawers you have prepared for them. Hang all the shirts, trousers and skirts. Then sort your blouses and other tops out and organize them on the shelves. You can use also some plastic bags or cardboard boxes, but you should be aware of the fact that this won’t make it much easier when you need to find something that you need.
Tips that will make it easier
- There is an easy rule that you can use for the clothes you can’t decide if you are going to wear or not. If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing for more than a year – throw it away, because it is not likely you will wear it again.
- Make a “revision” of your wardrobe in a few months. Otherwise you risk creating even a greater chaos.
- Decide how much time you can spend on organizing your wardrobe. Have in mind that you won’t be able to do everything in just a half an hour or so. Otherwise you risk getting angry when you actually realize how much work you need to do.
July Minor is passionate freelancer blogger and writer. She is really keen on topic about home improvement and DIY. She currently works for Top Domestic Cleaners and she loves her job because she has enough free time for herself.
Image Credit: flickr.com